Search Unity

Post Processing: Bad Signal Effect

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by N-Dev-Games, Aug 19, 2011.

1. N-Dev-Games

N-Dev-Games

I am sure everyone has seen the Battlefield 3 demos and notice the glitch static or bad signal effect they use in the first 10 seconds of the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zw8SmsovJc , has something like that been done with unity yet or is it possible to even fake it.

2. burnumd

burnumd

The effect in the video was probably done in FCP or After Effects (or the like). I don't know of any real-time effect like it for Unity, but if you simply want noise/scratch for a video camera/broadcast signal effect, there's a very passable post-processing (meaning: Pro-only) NoiseEffect effect in the "Image Effects" Pro Standard Assets package. If you want to write your own full-screen image effect, you'd probably determine where the highest concentration of white is on-screen and shift or blur those pixels on a semi-random basis.

3. N-Dev-Games

N-Dev-Games

Im wondering if I can fake it. Can the opacity on movie textures be adjusted or use an alpha map? Maybe I can use something like that along with the noise effect.

4. N-Dev-Games

N-Dev-Games

no progress

5. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Make a function with a timer, where at a random interval the texture's alpha is at 100, and have that last for one frame before turning back to zero.

6. twitchfactor

twitchfactor

Cheap way:

Make your static texture that looks like the pseudo-interlace effect you see if you pause the video. Put it on a quad. UV scroll the interlace/static texture, while fading the alpha from 0 to 100% (rapidly), then turn it off immediately when it reaches 100%. If you want to get fancy, you can start with a y-scale of ~60% and scale up to 100% while fading up the quad.

The key to the blip you're seeing in that vid is that it's not distorting the image underneath. It's just an additive effect that goes by so fast, there's no need to over-complicate it.