Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

No Paypal anymore in the asset store?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by RandAlThor, Aug 19, 2011.

1. angel_m

angel_m

I think it is a wrong decision.

2. seikto

seikto

can someone from unity tell us if its final desicion? and the reason why cant have both payments?

3. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

4. phex

phex

5. kerters

kerters

A ranking of these sites would be useful - starting with the lowest rip off's

Here is another popular one www.the3dstudio.com

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  6. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

If you let me buy today again with paypal i buy at least for $200 maybe more, i promise.

7. Gaspedal

Gaspedal

I would boycott it until we get paypal for ever!

8. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

+1.
    I won't. And I thinks that's a fact, because if I saw the same product on two website, if one website is 5$ but use paypal, I go for it...
    And I only do impulse buy if I don't need to search for my credit card... I pretty sure that I'm not the only one.

All asset store seller: if you have a website, sell your product with paypal.
    Before buying anything I will search on google, and I will buy from your website.
    You will earn 30% more :)

More security..No. Paypal already have my infos, now another bank will have them too for the 1 click purchase ???
    2 place to steal my infos instead of one, what an improvement!

Every pro know why they want to avoid paypal: Paypal transaction fee are more expensif than most Bank system.
    Unity just want to win 1 or 2% more on every buy ( and still ask 30% to dev..). Even if this is less convinent for customer.

They keep Paypal to send money to seller, because in that case the transaction fee is paid by the sellers :)

9. angel_m

angel_m

10. Ullukai

Ullukai

i sure hope we can use prepaid credit cards and/or gift cards then ! Or else i can't buy from the asset store :(

11. RoyS

RoyS

I would prefer to purchase directly from you developers as that's more profit for you (someone told me asset store took 30%?). I don't like or use the asset store as a customer.

12. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

@angel_m
    gameprefabs is active, they have new content every two or three weeks.

13. sleglik

sleglik

14. IndieStudio

IndieStudio

I need to buy then HD Space Skyboxes for a project just right now and CAN'T. What should i have to do? Please Unity.. tell me.

15. slkjdfv

slkjdfv

if weebly lets you use custom html (webs.com does) you can add "add to cart" buttons on your site.

16. Ullukai

Ullukai

17. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

@sleglik

just bought your asset via paypal :)

Thank you to make it easy for me as a customer to pay with paypal.

18. sleglik

sleglik

It was really fast. Just send me email and you will have free upgrades ;)

19. Ullukai

Ullukai

i can vouch for e-junkie 'cos i bought many things from their system from sellers here on the forums
    i myself use paypal links to sell stuff because it is easier

20. phex

phex

No Paypal = No sells

Its just that easy.

You can like it or not, you can be disapointed about their fees or not.
    It is the No.1 online payment system, shops that not support it will
    run dry in short time.

Good luck to the Assetstore, just another false decision.
    Maybe they should ask someone who knows about that
    business !!

21. Mettadas

Mettadas

A few months ago I sold an expensive camera on ebay, collecting payment via paypal. My account showed the money coming in from the purchaser, and then an immediate additional transaction apparently sending it back. There was no explanation as to why this happened.

By googling I found out that this is how it looks when the freeze the money for security purposes. So that was pretty crappy service already, making it look like a refund and telling me nothing about what happened or why. But that was just the beginning.

I expected, from what I had read, that the money would be released when the buyer's window for filing a dispute had expired. In the weeks that followed I sent paypal multiple emails trying to find out what had happened, why, and when I might see my money. Each time I received automated "we have your question" messages and nothing else.

Long story shortened, I eventually spent a long time on the phone with multiple people who could not explain why my money was frozen and eventually they released it, but what a lot of stress for no reason.

As a buyer, I will be disappointed if paypal is dropped from the asset store. But they are truly horrible to deal with as a seller.

Frank.

22. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Paypal and ebay is different then paying normal with paypal.

That does not mean that i do not understand you and the problems with paypal that i read also.

I want to say that i am liking the asset store and be sad about the decision to not let us pay with paypal anymore.

23. Mettadas

Mettadas

That is certainly a fair comment. There are a couple things I was meaning to buy from my paypal balance.

24. Mettadas

Mettadas

So we can continue to enjoy Paypal's horrible treatment of of vendors, but not have the convenience and safety of using them for purchases?

Frank.

25. kerters

kerters

This is the real reason. :)

26. houndie

houndie

Looks like I will no longer be purchasing anything through the Asset Store, for those creators that have their own website I suggest you make them known, the thread idea is great, otherwise sales will dwindle. It's sad really, costs may be high using Paypal as a company but you dont pay them until you make a sale, but you still make a sale. This way you make no sale which = no money. Kinda silly to have made the choice you made Unity, as for more secure? Sorry but Paypal is as secure as you can be, more so since I do not have to give you my credit card number, ever!!!

27. sawfish

sawfish

In the last Nielsen study, Credit/Debit was used on the Internet by 82% of the population, and PayPal was used by 24%. I hardly think that "Most people don't want to use CC on the Internet" is an accurate statement.

PayPal isn't very secure. Many people I know have had their PayPal accounts hacked.

I'd much rather pay with my bank card.

28. mas

mas

You can all marvel @ the beautifull components on my www.wyrmtale.com website.

Paypal supported JIPPIE!!

@Unity - Please listen to your active community and re-implement the code. Lets have both ways and let the people decide for themselves. Lots of 'Got no Card' users of the Free version also want to buy lots of components in the store! Do not destroy the gold please..!!

Cheers

29. john-essy

john-essy

They have done this to me 4 times and now can't get another paypal account i have £862 in my paypal and i can't get it for another 120+ days

30. Scryer

Scryer

Guys, really? There is a simple solution to this. If you so badly hate the fact Unity has dropped Paypal (which WAS confirmed so please stop asking if it was. It was confirmed in this thread alone by a Unity administrator) then don't sell your goods here. You can purchase anything you want outside of Unity from Turbosquid or other websites, a simple google search does wonders. If you're a seller, then simply only upload screenshots/videos of your work, and if someone wants to buy it have them send you a message, send the cash, then you send them a private download link to get it or send it to them personally. It's not hard, maybe a bit more troublesome but still simple.

31. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

If you want to use Paypal cant you just contact the developer of the Asset directly and pay direct.

32. niosop2

niosop2

The Asset Store isn't exclusive. There is nothing stopping you from posting it on the asset store for people who don't mind not having paypal access, and on a different site that supports paypal.

33. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I use paypal since the beginning and never had a problem like this.
    This is not an invitation ;)

I know that there are problems with paypal but there are also problems with other payment methods and you will find everywhere someone who has a problem like this.

But this thread is not about if paypal is good or bad and i do not want that everyone must pay with paypal but i would like to have the option to pay with paypal together with options for other payment methods for the ones who like to pay not with paypal.

34. phex

phex

Maybe we should setup a new website, not a shop, where every serious asset provider
    can showcase his products. A button like "purchase it here" links to the shop of your choice.
    That can be gameprefabs, turbosquid,your own shopping cart, or whatever else.

But we have ONE site showcasing it all and with the right SEO improvements and some
    advertising on the forums it can be found on google within a few weeks.

35. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

You mean something like unitymagic.com ;)

36. phex

phex

No, not another store, just a showcase site

37. Mettadas

Mettadas

There are some good reasons to dislike PayPal, but I do not believe this is one of them. If you are aware of even one case of paypal being hacked, please post a reference, because I've never heard of one.

What DOES sometimes happen is that someone is fooled by a spammer into sharing things they should not. You can hardly blame this on paypal.

When you use a credit card online, you trust not only the bank's security, but the security, competence, and honestly of every merchant you buy from and a good number of their employees. Over time that adds up to a LOT of people. When you buy using paypal, you trust only paypal and your bank.

Frank.

38. Mettadas

Mettadas

Yes. I just bought Easy Roads directly, using Paypal. I had intended to buy it through the asset store for the convenience of having all my updates in one place. Data point.

Frank.

39. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

all is lost!! :-0

40. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Anyone can buy my assets through PayPal on my site (links in sig). It's an automated system, so you get the goods immediately, assuming you don't use eCheck that is. Also you're actively notified of updates, if you opt in.

I'd recommend that UT keep PayPal as an option; getting people to use a different system is far more of an impediment to sales than whether you can use 1 click or not (doesn't Amazon have a patent on that anyway?).

--Eric

41. ScienceFiction

ScienceFiction

This may kill the asset store, I know i've seen my sales drop suddenly.

42. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I think you would be able to push up the price of the store if everyone had a creditcard. I know its not hard to sell it yourselves using Plimus (you get like 90% I think), if unity lets sell it both in the store and off.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  43. Chickenlord

Chickenlord

This will take away lots and lots of sales form the asset store. Although i get the reasons for this decision, this makes the whole unity asset stuff spread out again and as a customer you have to look on lots of pages before you find what you need.

Keeping paypal as an alternative would be way better, from the customers perspective of course.

44. AlteredReality

AlteredReality

Damn, I guess I'll have to put my assets up in other stores now too. :-/

45. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

@ Chickenlord
    You are right, i want to buy immediatly 5 or 6 assets that i can not buy somewhere because the only place to buy is here and it cost me some ours to find that out.

46. Chickenlord

Chickenlord

Excatly what i thought seeing this thread. Quite annoying...

Btw what about amazon payment services? That would be a cool idea.

47. Alienchild

Alienchild

It was a real d!ck move to just remove the PayPal support without prior warning AND without proper information anywhere. This should have been frontpage, at -least- a post about it here on the Assets forum.

I can live without PayPal on the asset store but looking at my purchasing pattern that means I probably won't be buying much. This whole Asset Store ordeal (not just the PayPal thing, -everything-) also has me less keen on spending money on Unity T. since I really dislike their business practice and how they are treating us customers. I'm really curious to see which route they are taking the new Asset Store update. They can either go for the customer-convenient web solution or continue to dig themselves down in the sh!tter with this quasi-browser bull.

48. Tiles

Tiles

Paypal sucks. That`s all there is to say.

49. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

@Tiles
    Paypal sucks for you and i respect that but for me paypal is important and has worked many years wirthout a single problem.

I think also this is a bad experience as a customer that i get from unity!

50. Tiles

Tiles

It may have worked for you. But maybe there were too much peope where Paypal didn`t work proper? Ever thought of that?

Fact is Paypal is no bank. It is a very special kind of money transfer company with its very own selfmade rules that even breaks country law here and there. Did you know that Paypal did lock german dealers just because they traded with Cuba? That they lock customer transfers just because someone in the same house has forgotten to pay its bills? Somebody who has absolutely nothing to do with the customer? Paypal acts very arbitrary here and there, doing things that a bank could never do because then it would be against law. They can decide to hold your money back just because somebody there feels for it. Paypal plays too often god. As told, it sucks. Wise decision to remove it from Unity.