Search Unity

found a way to sandbox unity OSX stand alones for mac app store

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by CoatlGames, Aug 17, 2011.

1. CoatlGames

CoatlGames

hello there.

as some of you may know, application sandboxing is just a technical way to enforce the mac app store guidelines, its some kind of extension to code signing, its still a premature technology that i hope will get better with time, but for the moment apple will be enforcing its use for apps for osx lion submitted to the mac app store after november this year..

it will be a hard ride for many applications to update and become compliant if the devs want the app to stay in the mac app store

for more information on application sandboxing and code signing you can go here

https://developer.apple.com/library...roduction.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40005929

fortunately unity seems to be compatible out of the box with sandboxing, as i was able to sandbox angrybots and run it without any problems

heres the pic, click for larger version:

to do it, its very simple if you are already familiar with code signing or preparing unity stand alones for mac app store submission

first you need to make an entitlements file which is basically a .plist file, in the link above theres explanations on what options and keys are available or you can make Xcode 4.1 make one for you, for that you need to make a dummy project with Xcode 4.1 and enable app sandboxing and entitlements on the projects setting.

the entitlements file that used with angrybots its the most basic and restricting one.. here it is what it contains

Code (csharp):
    2. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    3. <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    4. <plist version="1.0">
    5. <dict>
    6.     <key>com.apple.security.app-sandbox</key>   <true/>
    7. </dict>
    8. </plist>
    i saved that in file called AngryBots.entitlements and put it in the same folder of the built angry bots .app

then i when I'm code signing, I've added a couple of things to the command line , heres an example

Code (csharp):
    2. codesign -f -s 'Mac App Certificate Name' --entitlements AppBundleName.entitlements AppBundleName.app
    and thats it, the game is code signed and sandboxed, ready to be tested and packaged for the mac app store

the installer build process is the same as before

later i may do a more proper tutorial on how to prepare a unity osx stand alone for submission to the mac app store

hope this helps anyone

Cheers!

2. iossif

iossif

very nice. i was already confused on how to bring my game to the mac app store. thanks!

3. AaronC

AaronC

When I make a .plist I get the file that has like a variable type on the left and my assignment on the right..and yet you went from talking about .plist to .entitlements files.. Kinda lost me there.

Any chance of making a video screencast of this process? Theres free screen capture functionality in Quicktime if you dont have screen capture software.

Thanks for any help you can summon
    AaronC

4. SolInvictus212

SolInvictus212

Thanks CoatlGames! I was of course ignoring Apple's nagging until the last minute, but you've saved me ;)

He just saved the plist as "WhateverGame.entitlements"
    A .plist is just an xml file, as is the entitlements file. The variable on the left/assignment on the right is just Xcodes way to conveniently show a plist. Open the file in a normal txt editor to see what it actually looks like (just an xml file).

5. GaussIon

GaussIon

Hello, this thread is useful, especially with the deadline approaching, but checking on Console for Sandboxing violations i found this error:

deny iokit-open IOHidLibUserClient

The cause seems to be Unity accessing libraries for joysticks and other devices, the game runs fine but this could cause problems during the review process. I found that allowing access to USB devices there were no violations recorded. If you use Xcode to create the .entitlements file simply click the "Allow USB Access" checkbox on the entitlements section. If you do it manually your file should look more or less like this:

Code (csharp):
    1. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    2. <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    3. <plist version="1.0">
    4. <dict>
    5.     <key>com.apple.security.app-sandbox</key>
    6.     <true/>
    7.     <key>com.apple.security.device.usb</key>
    8.     <true/>
    9. </dict>
    10. </plist>
    Hope this helps!

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  6. josemauriciob

josemauriciob

i already have some games on mac store .... with out sandboxing.
    this proces already work..... ??????

can I sandboxing just using xcode 4.1 on leopard ?
    with this tutorial above ?
    easy like that ?

i just have 5 days to deadline.

please help !

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  7. GaussIon

GaussIon

I recommend you to check if your version of XCode supports sandboxing or if you can upgrade to the latest version from Leopard, since Apple said the process is easier on XCode 4.3

8. Invent4

Invent4

Hi, thanks for all hints shared.
    The codesign process is easy with all information here, and the sandbox scheme seems to work great as well.

One doubt, and please, any help would be very appreciated:

After using the codesign with the basic entitlements (sandbox true), the game can not write files inside its folder.

Inside the game, /Contents, I'm using several files to write the player profiles, etc.

Everything works okay after the normal codesign. But when using the entitlements (sandbox true), it seems not be possible.

I'm trying some Keys inside the entitlements, trying to allow the data writing, but still without success.

Do you know any Key allowing the data read/write for the entitlements.plist?

The game is ready. The codesign and the pack worked okay. Sandbox was the last request by the appStore. But using it, it seems I can't write files inside my game's folder anymore.

Thanks in advance.

9. deepaknw

deepaknw

Invent4, How did you sandbox your application?

10. josemauriciob

josemauriciob

hi
    some update on how sandboxing a unity game for mac app store please ?
    thanks so much for any help !

11. josemauriciob

josemauriciob

please help .... i have probles with sandboxing and signcode ( unity to mac store )
    any help please ?

12. AaronC

AaronC

I made a support case, Case #00106080 with Unity support requesting their help here. If anyone else wants to resort to this in order to get official help with this feel free to quote the support number.

Its disappointing how bad Mac App Store support is. Please Unity Technologies help your developers like Mauricio here.

~A

13. Dreamora

Dreamora

There are multiple tutorials on the matter, its pretty simple but out of necesity it requires the usage of the terminal and the dev command line tools.
    I think there are even scripts that you can simply execute.

Unity can't do anything to change that as OSX unlike iOS does not generate an xcode project so Apples buildchain could take over the task, its up to you to read the Apple documentation on the matter this time.

14. AaronC

AaronC

Ok would you mind listing the up to date tutorials then including sandboxing? Mauricio here is one of my clients (Yours too I think Dreamnora?) So please lets help him with something solid - some decent up-to-date instructions to work with? I know hes been trying for literally weeks to get his apps accepted.

15. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

hey, just letting you know that we are looking into this for you.

16. Aurore

Aurore

I have these steps from the devs to prepare your app for the Mac App Store:

1) Info.plist needs to be fixed.
    2) .icns file should be prepared to have all the required resolutions of app icon. This one changes quite often.
    3) Entitlements file needs to be made with sandboxing key in there.
    4) App should be signed using users distribution certificate. Entitlements file should be supplied to the codesign utility.
    5) Additionally libmono.dylib needs to be signed. (Entitlements file should be supplied to the codesign utility.)
    6) Installer should be made and signed.

17. Aurore

Aurore

Here are some more details about building to Mac App Store, kindly provided by Mantas Puida one of our iOS devs.

1) Modifications needed to be done for Info.plist. It is based on old
    Flashbang blogpost :
    http://technology.blurst.com/unity-games-and-mac-app-store/

Here is a screenshot for everything that needs to be changed manually.

Additionally "LSApplicationCategoryType" key should be added, possible
    values could be looked up here :
    http://developer.apple.com/library/....html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40010572-CH16-SW8

2) .icns file should be prepared to have all the required resolutions of app icon. This one changes quite often.

3) Sample entitlements file should look like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
    "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>com.apple.security.app-sandbox</key> <true/>
    <key>com.apple.security.device.usb</key> <true/>
    </dict>
    </plist>

Some games might require additional security exceptions. The whole
    list of available exceptions is published here :
    http://developer.apple.com/library/...x.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40011195-CH4-SW1

4) Signing application:

codesign --force --sign "<your certificate name>" --entitlements
    <your_entitlements_filename>.entitlements <your_app_name>.app

Certificate name could be looked up in Keychain. The name of
    distribution certificate typically begins with “3rd Party Mac
    Developer Application.”. More details are available on
    http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#releasenotes/General/SubmittingToMacAppStore/_index.html

5) Additionally libmono.dylib also needs to be signed:
    codesign --force --sign "<your certificate name>" --entitlements
    <your_entitlements_filename>.entitlements
    <your_app_name>.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/libmono.0.dylib

6) Building a signed pkg:
    productbuild --component
    <path_to_current_location_of_the_app>/<your_app_name>.app
    /Applications --sign "<your certificate name>" <your_app_pkg_name>.pkg

18. Psymon

Psymon

HI ! I followed all the step you described but the Mac Store still reject my app

My entitlement file look like this :
    Code (csharp):
    2. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    3. <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
    4. "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    5. <plist version="1.0">
    6. <dict>
    7. <key>com.apple.security.app-sandbox</key> <true/>
    8. </dict>
    9. </plist>
    I don't know how and why my app need the access to the music/download directory of the computer. Could it be that my app use Assetbundles ? (because I access to them with WWW and Application.dataPath but it still pretty weird).
    Does anyone got a similar problem with the macstore submission ?

19. Invent4

Invent4

Hi,

We got it, our game is on appStore:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bridge-project/id560104673?mt=12

About the question I made, about "- how to write files inside my app folder ? " the answer is, do not write there! Use another allowed folder. It's not Windows!

So, this topic helped me to find the users and app allowed folder to write files:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/23686-SOLVED-Special-folder-path-in-mac

This link helped with sandbox, also:
    https://developer.apple.com/library...x.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40011195-CH4-SW1

We followed the steps which another users shared here in the forum, and everything gone ok.

The steps needed are well described by Aurora, it's a good sumary / manual.

Thanks for sharing!

By the way, here is a video of our "Bridge Project" : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQDnK4sGy88&feature=plcp

All the best!

20. stechmann

stechmann

Hi,

I am using the *exact* entitlement file that CoatlGames
    posted here. So the XML structure and syntax should be Ok.

But when running codesign from the commandline,
    it gives me these errors:

unrecognized blob type (accepting blindly)
    invalid length in entitlement blob

I have double-checked my .entitlements file and it looks fine.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

21. stechmann

stechmann

Apparently my problem outlined above came about because I used TextEdit to create the XML file.

When creating the XML file from within Xcode, then editing it in TextEdit afterwards, it works without errors.

22. cwacesar

cwacesar

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013