Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Cloud System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Dantus, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Dantus

Dantus

garyhaus, I never felt blamed! It's an issue you have with the Cloud System, so I do my best to resolve it. As this is a Unity bug and I can not fix it, I can still write some mails :).

2. Dantus

Dantus

rutecht, do you have a link to that issue? There seem to be a lot of problems with Water4, so I am not sure which one you actually mean :).

3. garyhaus

garyhaus

Tried deferred rendering. Does not work with the clouds(with billboards) and added some 'strange' shading to my terrain surface....

4. grobm

grobm

Just bought the Product and here is some feedback on Unity 3.4:

Very Slow to open the script features in Unity 3.4. Hangs on i5 macbook pro for about 1 minute every time you expand the script properties. (Annoying and make me not want to use the tool).

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  5. Dantus

Dantus

Hi grobm

Sorry to hear that, but I expect that there is a solution for the issue you are encountering. I need some more information to help you.

Could you explain a little bit more detailed what you are doing to get the bad performance. With which properties does this happen?

Have you tried to open the "Empty" scene that is bundled with the Cloud System, and create a new cloud in there? Is the performance now better if you are changing properties?

Regards
    Andy

6. Dantus

Dantus

Another release was just uploaded. The performance increase for the previews allows you to work fluently with texture previews. This is a huge usability improvement!

7. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

Here is something to try. Put your clouds on its own layer. Make a new camera in your scene, preferably a parent of your main camera. Set its render depth to -2. Change the culling to be only your clouds layer. Go back to your main camera and set it to Depth only from Clear Flags. Its a half arsed fix, but it "should" work.

8. Dantus

Dantus

@msken, I haven't through of such a workaround :)! Even if it is not optimal, it is better to have something than nothing. I'll give it a try. Thanks!

9. Dantus

Dantus

@msken, the billboard trees are still behind the clouds, but still thanks for taking the time. I sincerely hope this bug is going to be resolved in Unity 3.5.

10. janpec

janpec

This looks really nice and promising product. Is it possible to make your own shapes of clouds with this tool? As you said there is on avarage 1 draw call spent for 1 cloud correct? Does size of cloud matter for draw call count? Also do clouds react with God Ray posteffect?

11. Dantus

Dantus

@janpec, yes you can create your own shapes. We heavily optimized the workflow for that. You may have a look at those videos.
    The size of the clouds has no impact on the number of draw calls.
    I don't own Unity Pro, that's why I don't know how God Rays work exactly and I also can't test it. If God Rays work in combination with meshes/mesh renderers or particles, then it should theoretically work with the Cloud System too.

12. janpec

janpec

Ok thanks for answer, i think that God Rays will work then since they work with meshes and particles by default.

Thanks for this tool will purchase it soon for sure:D

13. Dantus

Dantus

So God Rays work with the Cloud System, learned something new :).

You're welcome. If you have suggestions, feel free to contact me!

14. Dantus

Dantus

Good news for all customers: Even if Unity 3.5 has a completely new particle system (Shuriken), the Cloud System still works and you all are going to get improved performance out of the box!

15. garyhaus

garyhaus

Can you verify/tell me if they are working or not working in 3.5 with terrain engine placed trees. Could really use a solution to get that working so they don't render in front of billboarded trees.

Thanks,

Gary Haus

16. Dantus

Dantus

Hey Gary. I got no more information about it and the bug report status hasn't changed (still open). It was the first thing I tested and it made me ... .

17. garyhaus

garyhaus

ok.... still can't use the system then....

18. Dantus

Dantus

19. garyhaus

garyhaus

Danke for checking.

20. tonycoculuzzi

tonycoculuzzi

Ah, this is still too expensive for me, but it looks pretty nice. If it goes doen in price a fair bit, I'll definitely buy it.

21. Dantus

Dantus

It is not planned to lower the price, especially not because it is planned to extend the functionality, which means a lot of work. So, I am sorry for you, but this won't happen in the foreseeable future.

22. ilya_ca

ilya_ca

Hi, we've purchased the Cloud System and it's a great tool!

However we face some issues with unity 3.5 - after some time of working with the tool, the viewport gets locked - I cannot rotate/scale/navigate the viewport at all. The bug goes away only after restarting unity and this happens every 5 minutes. We're running Snow Leopard.

What's the problem and how can we fix it?

Thanks.

23. Dantus

Dantus

@ilya.s: It's the first time I hear of such an issue. I haven't worked heavily with the Cloud System in Unity 3.5 yet. I am going to have a closer look at it in the next few days.
    Does it happen randomly or only if you do certain things? Have you found something that helps me to reproduce the issue?

24. ilya_ca

ilya_ca

Probably it's because the Unity 3.5 is still in beta. It happens randomly and only on a single computer. We weren't able to reproduce it on a different one. We'll upgrade to OS X Lion and let you know if the problem persists.

25. Dantus

Dantus

I spent some time with the Cloud System in Unity 3.5 (RC 1). The release candidate seems to contain be a few issues that did not exist (or I did not find them) in earlier previews. At the moment it doesn't make sense to modify anything in order to get it working for Unity 3.5 (RC 1) as it is not yet the final version.
    It is planned to release Cloud System 1.3 within one or at most two weeks which will come with several editor improvements, that may fix one or the other issue from Unity 3.5 as a side effect.
    As Unity 3.5 gets stable, there is going to be another release that supports Shuriken. This release will take some time as I want to make sure that all the editor scripts work as expected.

26. Dantus

Dantus

Cloud System 1.3 is now under review. You may want to have a look at the release notes.

27. Nikolai-Sander

Nikolai-Sander

Does anybody have some data on performance for mobile? Does this run ok on an iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S?

How about Android?

Thanks!

28. Dantus

Dantus

Version 1.3 is now available.

Shuriken support - will be included with Cloud System 1.4 - already works on my machine. Further there is going to be a new lightning shader.

29. Dantus

Dantus

I am working on a demo scene for the new Lightning Cloud Shader.

30. Dantus

Dantus

31. pkid

pkid

Nice, it would be cool to see a demo where there was more lighting, on my system I can only see glimpses when there is a light flash.

32. elbows

elbows

edit - oops I made a silly mistake, ignore this post, sorry!

33. Dantus

Dantus

@pkid: I am going to create another demo where the lightning effect can easily be seen and you don't need luck to watch in the correct direction.

34. Dantus

Dantus

You can now watch another Cloud Lightning Preview. The lightning is random, so it may be necessary to watch it a little bit longer than just a few seconds.

35. pkid

pkid

Maybe it's just my system, but it is really hard to see much in these demos.

36. Dantus

Dantus

It was my intention to have a clearly visible contrast. If I get more feedback like yours, I will definitely light them up!
    Thanks for the comment.

37. Dantus

Dantus

Last demo preview for the Cloud System 1.4 release:
    Good Evil Demo

38. Dantus

Dantus

Cloud System 1.4 is now under review.

39. Dantus

Dantus

40. Dantus

Dantus

Cloud System 1.4.1 submitted. It contains a partial workaround for a Unity bug that freezes the scene view.

41. ina

ina

does this work on mobile yet

42. Dantus

Dantus

Yes it works, but I can't give any guarantees about the performance.

43. Dantus

Dantus

Cloud System 1.5 is now available. Here are the release notes.

44. unity3dx

unity3dx

Author's webpage has disappeared :(

45. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

It works for me

46. unity3dx

unity3dx

47. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

48. Dantus

Dantus

The website is still there. It was probably a server issue.

49. 3dManMonkey

3dManMonkey

We are having trouble adding another color to the "Shading Colors" section in the inspector, when we try to add a 3rd color Unity crashes on us.

Any ideas? we are simply dropping "Sky Cloud" from the demo folder into the scene, and then hitting the "Add Color" button. Hard lockup every time.

Thanks in advance

Ron

50. Dantus

Dantus

Thanks for reporting this issue. I was able to reproduce and resolve it. Today, I am going to submit the new version to the asset store.

Everyone who needs the resolved version now can send me a pm or mail with your Invoice#.