Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

AutoPilot for Testflight 1.0 (deploy iOS builds via cloud!) - Now on the asset store

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Cratesmith, Aug 14, 2011.

1. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

Price: $25

Features
    • Single click to send a build to your testers, anywhere in the world!
    • Integrates unity with the fantastic testing and feedback tools of TestFlight
    • Manage TestFlight upload settings from within Unity
    • Simple to use, fast to configure.

Requirements:
    • Unity3d iPhone (Pro or Basic), running on OSX (tested on Unity 3.4)
    • XCode (tested on XCode 4, iOS SDK 4.3)
    • An active connection to the internet

- TestFlight SDK support for iOS basic
    - Javascript now has access to the Testflight SDK
    - Better support for Unity Basic under OSX Lion
    - Fixed an issue some users were having with the IPA build step

- You can now specify which mobile provision to build against from autopilot.

2.1b
    - Tons and tons of bugfixes
    - The new build options window!
    $AutoPilot 2.1 Preview.png

- Fixes for issues people had with the TestFlight SDK auto-integration in non-testlfight builds.

2.0f Changes
    - TestFlight SDK auto-integration. (Just 'install' the SDK in your project using the preferences window)

1.3 Changes:
    - fixed bugs with long upload messages and single quotes in messages
    - api keys input now removes any spaces when changed, (user request)
    - added message history to the build message window

1.2 Changes:
    - Unity Basic is fully supported with it's own wizard to walk users through the manual part of the unity basic build process
    - Full source code provided
    - Delegates and functions to quickly implement AutoPilot into a custom build process

Updates constantly coming!
    See what's coming soon here, and vote on changes that are important to you!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  2. mehware

mehware

great job, may pick this up.

3. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Looks great. I will purchase this once I go over to iOS dev.

4. runonthespot

runonthespot

Okay, I bought this, and it just worked first time! I'd not used TestFlight before but know the basics of adding a friends UDID to the provisioning portal and downloading the provisioning profile. And it worked. Really really excellent and a huge timesaver.

5. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Great stuff! Works right out of the box.

EDIT: One thing I've noticed is that if you switch out of Unity when building (before the AutoPilot scripts start), building won't continue until you switch back into the app. Would that be fixable, or is that a Unity limitation?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  6. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

Hmm, that's an interesting one.
    At the moment it polls the build processes on update to know when they're done... but that's done on update and I don't think I get unity update calls when the app is not focused.

Version 1.1 is already in the pipe, which shares the source code along with some fixes for people using custom build setups... but I can look into fixing this for 1.2.

7. DanTreble

DanTreble

Saved us so much time, thanks Cratesmith!

Fire and forget

8. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

Just updated this to version 1.2.

Please keep the user feedback coming,
    most of the new features have been based on responses I've gotten from the community.

9. oliverdb

oliverdb

Could you trim the keys.. Did a couple of builds before I realised I had blankspace in front and back

10. oliverdb

oliverdb

I am sure it has nothing todo with autopilot. But my .ipa file keeps getting uploaded with no testers. I have created an adhoc profile added it to Xcode and referenced it by the "bundle identifier". But nothing seems to help.

Any suggestions?

11. SteveJ

SteveJ

Just trying to figure this out, having not really worked with TestFlight or AdHoc builds. What I'm struggling with is that the build uploaded to TestFlight excludes the device that I actually want to test on, telling me "These teammate's devices were not identified in the embedded.mobileprovision for this build."

At no point in the AutoPilot build process though am I given the opportunity to provide the devices. I figured it was related to the "Distribution List", but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Apologies if I'm missing something obvious. I've only ever done App Store builds in the past.

Is there a site or anything that provides details for the actual process of using AutoPilot?

12. oliverdb

oliverdb

Geppetto

1) Get the users in testflight, and get them to register your device
    2) add all your users device to the IOS Provisioning Portal
    3) Create an addhoc provisioning file adding all your users
    4) download file and add it to Xcode (drag and drop)
    5) Reference the provisioning file through the bundle identifier in Unity
    6) Click Upload in testflight

13. SteveJ

SteveJ

Ahh... okay. So it matches on the bundle id. That's what I wasn't getting - how I tell it which provisioning profile to use. I'll play around. I ended up just doing the build manually with XCode and uploading to TestFlight, but definitely want to be able to use AutoPilot to speed things up in future.

Thanks!

14. runonthespot

runonthespot

Step 5... Ah!!

15. oliverdb

oliverdb

I get these errors.. constantly. Apparently it cannot handle large messages as the one below

Code (csharp):
    2. Hello testers and welcome to 0.5.4.
    4. Please test the following below and reply using the email you got this message through.
    5.  I'll personally throw in a couple of bottles of wine to the best testers.
    7. Please look at:
    8. -  Level design 1-8 and rate them by difficulty 1-10. 1 being easy and 10 being impossible,
    9. - Interaction . When stacking parcels is there something that works good or bad. Let me know
    10. - Sounds how is the current sound scheme.
    13. Improvements in this version:
    14. - Level 1-8 reworked by gamedesigner
    15. - Easiere to grab parcels
    16. - Annoying sound pick gimmik removed
    17. - Restart screen layout done
    19. Bugs Fixed:
    20. - Restart and quit of game crashed on IOS
    21. - Loggin in could cause startscreen to switch to level screen
    23. Bugs not found (Please help me here):
    24. -  Sometime you might loose a level even though you got 1+ star
    25. - Parcels not always ordered correctly when they enter the screen.

Win32Exception: ApplicationName='curl', CommandLine='http://testflightapp.com/api/builds.json -F file=@'/Users/ob/Documents/project/mobile/shoppingfrenzy/builds/iPhone/build/ShoppingFrenzyTest.ipa' -F api_token='*****' -F team_token='****' -F notes='test test test' -F notify=True -F distribution_lists='Internal,' -F replace=False --silent --write-out '
    %{http_code}' --show-error', CurrentDirectory=''
    System.Diagnostics.Process.Start_noshell (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo, System.Diagnostics.Process process)
    System.Diagnostics.Process.Start_common (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo, System.Diagnostics.Process process)
    System.Diagnostics.Process.Start (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo)
    TestFlightBuildPipeline.StartProcess (System.String filename, System.String arguments, Boolean logStdOut)
    TestFlightBuildPipeline.TestFlightUpload (System.String message, .TestFlightPreferences preferences)
    TestFlightBuildWindow.NextStage ()
    TestFlightBuildWindow.OnInspectorUpdate ()
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName)
    UnityEditor.HostView.OnInspectorUpdate ()

TestFlightBuildPipeline.TestFlightUpload (System.String message, .TestFlightPreferences preferences)
    TestFlightBuildWindow.NextStage ()
    TestFlightBuildWindow.OnInspectorUpdate ()
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName)
    UnityEditor.HostView.OnInspectorUpdate ()

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  16. badawe

badawe

Can you tell me if we can user Testflight SDK Beta? Like Checkpoints and stuffs like that with Autopilot?

17. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

To automatically add testers to builds, make sure you've got your testers added to lists and tell autopilot to sent the builds to those lists (in the user section of the preferences).

Also, I'll add the key trimming in the next release.

18. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

Short answer: No (or not yet)
    Long answer: I have the Testflight SDK beta now but I haven't had time to play with it yet. I'd really like to add it, but for now autopilot only uploads builds.

19. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

Autpilot automatically uses XCode's default provisioning profile for your bundle id... which means that it will automatically pick the closest matching profile. (you have to have these profiles pre-loaded into xcode's organizer)

For example, your team profile should match any app if you have it set up... but if you have a provisioning profile for 'com.mycompany.*' and your app's bundle id is 'com.mycompany.MyApp' it will use that one instead because it's closer to your app's bundle Id.

to be absolutely sure, the best way is to have a provisioning profile that exactly matches your app's bundle Id.

20. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

Ah, I didn't test for this case, you've found two bugs here:
    - using a single quote ("It's" for example)
    - and really long messages

Both will break the command line upload step.
    I'll get onto fixing this today.

21. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

Just submitted version 1.3 to the asset store with the following changes:
    - fixed bugs with long upload messages and single quotes in messages
    - api keys input now removes any spaces when changed, (user request)
    - added message history to the build message window

22. 3Duaun

3Duaun

@CrateSmith, thanks for the updates we just purchased this very useful asset. But were expecting support for the TestFlightSDK :-(. Are there plans to add support for the TestFlight SDK?

23. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

I'd really love to add sdk integration, and do plan to add it at some stage.
    Unfortunately I'm not sure when I'll have the time to do this... I will take a closer look to see how much work is involved though

24. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Awesome. Would definitely love to see SDK integration here as well. =)

25. 3Duaun

3Duaun

thanks for the new build with bug fixes :)

26. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

Hey folks,
    Just a small status update on SDK integration.

There are still many issues to sort out before it is robust enough to be published, but Ive now got a working prototype of Autopilot with automatic TestFlight SDK integration working (more or less).

The largest issue appears to be a bug in either unity or xcode that corrupts the xcode project if the the build player process is set to 'append' if native code is placed in the "Assets/Plugins/iOS" folder.
    If anyone has any clean workarounds for this, I'd love to hear them... (I have an ugly workaround I can use for this but I'd rather not use it if a cleaner option exists)

Also, just to make this very clear... AutoPilot's TestFlight SDK integration will require Unity Pro (not iOS pro). It's a native code plugin, no workaround possible for that.

27. oliverdb

oliverdb

Awsome... if you need a beta tester, let me know. I have a pro installation

28. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Great news! I would also love to test this if you would like some feedback - I have a beta program going on currently and a pro installation here as well.

29. 3Duaun

3Duaun

firsty, AWESOME NEWS on the SDK integration. We're very glad to hear that progress has bene made in that area, totally adding value to AutoPilot, thank you :) I too have Pro installed. Hope a workaround presents itself regarding the corruption issue.

on another note:
    I'm noticing that on certain build&upload's to TestFlight, using AutoPilot, the version increase I'm performing in the "bundle version" field of the player settings is NOT being reflected in the build number also reflecting the change in the version number of the newly buit&uploaded build on testflight, via autopilot. Is there a trick to get autopilot to update the build/version number, when the developer (beforehand) increases the build/version number in the "bundle version" field in unity's player settings?

In all fairness, TestFlight has been a bit difficult lately, not properly registering devices, or adding them to the team section. so its possible this is a TestFlight issue.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  30. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

Hmm, I've never seen that one before.
    I think testflight might be playing up due to the extra traffic issues the TestFlight SDK could be causing. If it keeps doing this, let me know and I'll have a good look at the issue.

Also, (on a related subject)
    The new version of AutoPilot ready for beta testing, with automatic SDK integration as the main new feature.
    I've contacted a small group of users to test the build before it goes to the asset store... (check your forum inbox).

For everyone else, just hang on... It'll be released really soon.

31. 3Duaun

3Duaun

So far so good on building and uploading within Unity, all tests have been successful, the checkpoints and feedback sdk tests have been successful thus far. Thank you Cratesmith!

We are however getting 3 error codes in xcode when trying to build with this new version(with the SDK version 2.0f):

any insight anyone can offer is appreciated :)

32. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

Hi there,
    A patch for this issue is pending submission to the asset store.

Until then, whenever you get this error just comment out the #define at the first line of TestFlightSDK.cs

33. 3Duaun

3Duaun

Cratesmith to the rescue :). Such awesome suport for this ESSENTIAL TESTFLIGHT TOOL!
    AutoPilot is the best of its class in(or out of) the asset store!

34. Rafes

Rafes

Hi Cratesmith, this looks like a great productivity tool!!

I can see us getting this soon regardless, but I'm curious how you feel about using this even before beta testing, in small teams 1-3 people, where one person as the dedicated build-er. In other words, using it as a simple internal update work-flow during development. It looks fluid enough but I thought I'd ask since I have never used this.

35. 3Duaun

3Duaun

@Rafes, ATM, for one of our current projects, we use AutoPilot for just that. Its worked out very well thus far. Already saved us at least 1-2 cumulative hours(in only a few days already) of the usual process. Plus the new SDK integration has allowed us to add in TestFlight features like feedback with minimal effort, again awesome features, great price.

36. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

Hi there Rafes,
    I'd say it's useful for distributing builds to team members. That's how I use it 99% of the time myself.

You can set a "Dev" distribution list for just your team and publish builds just to them quite quickly. As a side bonus, if you have Unity Pro it now loads the testflight SDK so you'll catch session and crash logs from those builds.

If you're looking to streamline your dedicated builder pipeline even more (and again, you need unity pro for this)
    you can set up a build server, I've written an article on how to do this at:
    http://www.cratesmith.com/archives/304

It shouldn't be difficult to even combine the two, having an automatic build server using AutoPilot to make and publish builds to your devs, just a few lines of changes.

37. Rafes

Rafes

Awesome, thanks! That is a big piece of the puzzle I was looking to solve.

38. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

Hey folks,
    Version 2.01 is out!

- This version fixes some issues people were reporting when appending a non-testflight build onto one that had been built using 'Build and Upload to TestFlight'
    - Effectively, the TestFlight SDK is now only integrated into builds created using AutoPilot's build functions/menu items.

39. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

This is wonderful. =)

40. oliverdb

oliverdb

Hows the SDK integration going, would really like to see some breakpoints

41. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

It's been in since 2.0f (we're up to 2.01 now :) ) and supports every part of the TestFlight SDK except the SetOptions function (as it has no practical use in unity projects currently).

Just go to the preferences window and use the two buttons there to get it all set up. (Full step by step instructions are in the readme file if you have any trouble)

42. oliverdb

oliverdb

Awsome... yeah I found out after force updating the module. Very cool :)

Will the SDK give me any problems at android builds?

Is it possible to enter some kind of title on the feedback, instead of just "feedback". Like "Rate the level"

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  43. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

2.0f had a possible issue, but there's no known issues in 2.01
    The testflight sdk is only used in builds performed by autopilot now.

44. oliverdb

oliverdb

Ahh testflight SDK has a question interface.. you just need to map it :)

Code (csharp):
    1. The TestFlight SDK: Questions
    3. [TestFlight passCheckpoint:@"Viewed Empty Questions Page"];

45. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

Already have,
    Questions are a property you can assign to checkpoints. To set a question on a checkpoint you need to do the following:
    1. Add checkpoints to trigger when you want to ask questions ( TestFlightSDK.PassCheckpoint("Viewed Empty Questions Page") )
    2. Build and upload to testflight, just to developers
    3. Run the build on your own device, triggering the checkpoints
    4. Go to the testflight dashboard for your build, select the checkpoint and click "add a question"

46. oliverdb

oliverdb

wauv... thats just awsome.. perfect... so I can just ask my users questions based upon my stats. I'd just rated this five star on asset store.

47. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

This Asset has helped streamline not only building (by being able to create a build server), but testing and checkpoints as well. 5 stars from me as well =)

48. 3Duaun

3Duaun

Total 5-star package!!!!
    get it now if you do any iOS development, worth every penny/pound/euro/;-)
    plus awesome support from Cratesmith.

49. 3Duaun

3Duaun

with the 2.01 update, I'm now getting the following 2 errors upon performing a "Build&Upload", I wasn't getting these with 2.0f(and earlier builds):

ERROR#1:
    Code (csharp):
    1. Error building Player because scripts had compiler errors
    2. UnityEditor.BuildPipeline:BuildPlayer(String[], String, BuildTarget, BuildOptions)
    3. TestFlightBuildPipeline:BuildPlayer(BuildTarget, String, Boolean)
    4. TestFlightBuildPipeline:BuildPlayerIOS(TestFlightPreferences)
    5. TestFlightBuildWindow:DoBuild(String)
    6. TestFlightMessageWindow:Update()
    7. UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions()

ERROR #2:
    Code (csharp):
    1. AutoPilot: Stage BuildProject failed:An error occured trying to build the .app file, please ensure you can manually build an iPhone project at the build location: builds/iPhone_iPad
    2. Additional Output:2011-09-23 04:18:53.076 xcodebuild[43560:5e03] [?T] XCGccMakefileDependencies: Failed to read dependencies. Could not find colon in ``/Volumes/Dev/GameBuildFolder/builds/iPhone_iPad/build/Unity-iPhone.build/Release-iphoneos/Unity-iPhone.build/Objects-normal/armv7/iPhone_GlesSupport.d''. Contents (0..100): ``<>''
    3. ** BUILD FAILED **
    5. The following build commands failed:
    6.     CompileC build/Unity-iPhone.build/Release-iphoneos/Unity-iPhone.build/Objects-normal/armv7/AppController.o Classes/AppController.mm normal armv7 objective-c++ com.apple.compilers.llvm.clang.1_0.compiler
    7.     CompileC build/Unity-iPhone.build/Release-iphoneos/Unity-iPhone.build/Objects-normal/armv7/iPhone_Profiler.o Classes/iPhone_Profiler.cpp normal armv7 c++ com.apple.compilers.llvm.clang.1_0.compiler
    8.     CompileC build/Unity-iPhone.build/Release-iphoneos/Unity-iPhone.build/Objects-normal/armv7/main.o Classes/main.mm normal armv7 objective-c++ com.apple.compilers.llvm.clang.1_0.compiler
    9.     CompileC build/Unity-iPhone.build/Release-iphoneos/Unity-iPhone.build/Objects-normal/armv7/iPhone_target2AppDelegate.o Classes/iPhone_target2AppDelegate.m normal armv7 objective-c com.apple.compilers.llvm.clang.1_0.compiler
    10.     CompileC build/Unity-iPhone.build/Release-iphoneos/Unity-iPhone.build/Objects-normal/armv7/RegisterMonoModules.o Libraries/RegisterMonoModules.cpp normal armv7 c++ com.apple.compilers.llvm.clang.1_0.compiler
    11.     CompileC build/Unity-iPhone.build/Release-iphoneos/Unity-iPhone.build/Objects-normal/armv7/RegisterClasses.o Classes/RegisterClasses.cpp normal armv7 c++ com.apple.compilers.llvm.clang.1_0.compiler
    12.     CompileC build/Unity-iPhone.build/Release-iphoneos/Unity-iPhone.build/Objects-normal/armv7/iPhone_GlesSupport.o Classes/iPhone_GlesSupport.cpp normal armv7 c++ com.apple.compilers.llvm.clang.1_0.compiler
    13. (7 failures)
    15. UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    16. TestFlightBuildWindow:CheckProcessErrors()
    17. TestFlightBuildWindow:OnInspectorUpdate()
    18. UnityEditor.HostView:OnInspectorUpdate()
    I applied full read/write permissions on the build folder, as per the error above, then built, and still get the error. Any help is appreciated.

EDIT:
    I've tried deleting the "builds" folder, and performing the build upload process, but still have the error asking me to "please ensure you can manually build an iPhone project at the build location: builds/iPhone_iPad"
    "iPhone_iPad" being the directory I've chosen in the AutoPilot build preferences to build to.

EDIT #2:
    Oddly enough, I created a new directory in the AutoPilot prefs to build to, as opposed to my original directory named "builds/iPhone_iPad", now its "builds/AutoPilot", and it build just fine, hmmm. Even though I corrected all folder/file permissions, it took this to fix it, anyhow, at least its fixed :)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  50. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

Hmm,
    It's dying on the unity build player step, so most important question is: were you able to do non-autopilot builds to this folder once it started giving you this error? Also were you having errors building to other folders?

Also, was this with or without the TestFlight SDK installed in your project?

Let me know if you see that one again. Even though it really looks like an internal unity error... it's possible that AutoPilot could be triggering this.

Edit:
    Also, were you getting these two errors in the same build attempt?
    You should only be able to get the second error if the first stage of the build has succeeded... but the first error is saying that it has failed on a script error.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011