Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

AutoPilot for Testflight 1.0 (deploy iOS builds via cloud!) - Now on the asset store

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Cratesmith, Aug 14, 2011.

1. 3Duaun

3Duaun

looks like, as i noted in my "EDIT #2", that I just needed to designate a new directory to get it to work again, easy enough, albeit a bit odd.

I was getting both of those errors on the same build attempts, a single build attempt. This was WITH the TestFlight SDK installed. I'll post again if it happens, but thus far, I've not been able to reproduce the error :).

2. oliverdb

oliverdb

Hey CrateSmith

After adding the testflight SDK the app crashes on ipod touch 2nd gen and 3G phones (arm 6). I tried removing the SDK and it suddenly worked. Do you know if its related to your build or testflights.

3. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

Hmm,
    It could be the Testflight SDK library... that gets linked into all iOS builds when you have it installed but it's not called unless it's an autopilot build.

I can't reproduce this error on my end, could you just confirm that it will crash with the testflight SDK installed and won't without?

If it's causing an issue I'll release a patch that only has testflight's library linked for Autopilot builds.

4. oliverdb

oliverdb

I can confirm that after I added the testflight SDK and pushed it out with testflight, none of my Arm 6 users could use the app. I also did a local build where it first crashed and then I renamed the iOS folder under plugins to iOS´_old and then it worked. So its the library and not the fact that its called cause the arm6 device never gets to my loading screen.

The problem is that I really want my ARM 6 testers to play the game and use the testflight SDK is there anything I can do?

5. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

Okay, I'll make a patch as soon as I can. It won't fix this arm6 issue if the SDK is installed but it will stop the library being included (and breaking arm6 builds) in non-autopilot builds.

In the mean time could you please post a question on support.testflightapp.com about this?

I'd do this myself but I don't have an arm 6 device to use as a test case. (though please post a link to the discussion so I can follow it if it turns out that there is a workaround)

Finally in the meantime I suggest you start doing sperate arm6 and arm7 builds on testflight. That way you can at least get feedback from the arm7 testers through the SDK.

6. iossif

iossif

i bought and installed autopilot but i get the following error if i want to build and send:

Code (csharp):
    2. DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path "/Users/<path to my app>/AutoPilot/TestFlightSDK/TestFlightSDK.cs".
    3. System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options)
    4. System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
    5. (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream:.ctor (string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess,System.IO.FileShare)
    6. System.IO.File.OpenRead (System.String path)
    7. System.IO.StreamReader..ctor (System.String path, System.Text.Encoding encoding, Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks, Int32 bufferSize)
    8. System.IO.StreamReader..ctor (System.String path)
    9. (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.StreamReader:.ctor (string)
    10. TestFlightBuildPipeline.UpdateSDKEnabledInScript (Boolean enabled)
    11. TestFlightBuildPipeline.BuildPlayerIOS (.TestFlightPreferences preferences)
    12. TestFlightBuildWindow.DoBuild (System.String message)
    13. TestFlightMessageWindow.Update ()
    14. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture)
    15. Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    16. System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture)
    17. System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters)
    18. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj)
    19. UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName)
    20. UnityEditor.HostView.SendUpdate ()
    21. UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions ()
    i entered all the api tokens and followed the instructions. what did i do wrong?

7. oliverdb

oliverdb

Hey Cratesmith

I did it and got the following reply. I have tried to update the SDK to the latest build and it did not have any effect.
    http://support.testflightapp.com/discussions/sdk/56-sdk-does-not-support-arm6-users

8. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

There's two things that likely could cause this.
    1. Either you've moved AutoPilot (it must live in Assets/AutoPilot)
    2. You haven't unpacked or upgraded all the assets.

In order to fix this, just make sure the file TestFlightSDK.cs must be located at "Assets/AutoPilot/TestFlightSDK/TestFlightSDK.cs" (which is all case sensitive). If you don't have the file, force unpack it from the unitypackage.

To be honest, the easiest way to put this right is to delete AutoPilot from your project and reimport it from the unitypackage :)

Hope this helps

9. iossif

iossif

aha! i think i moved autopilot to my plugin folder. guess i bring it back to the other location?

that also brings me to a feature request for the next version: let me choose the location please :-D

10. iossif

iossif

one more question: i usually change the fps of my game from 30 (default) to 60 before i build my games in xcode. can i enforce that with autopilot? currently i get 30 fps and i want more :p

basically i want to change "#define kFPS 30.0" to 60.0

edit: also i noticed that in testflight i do not see sessions or checkpoints.

i added stuff like

TestFlightSDK.PassCheckpoint("section finished");

but when i go to the checkpoint area in testflight it tells me to get the sdk. what happens (or not happens) here?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  11. TapMeJared

TapMeJared

Awesome! I love testflight, Thanks

12. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

There's a lot of things like this that could be added, but they're really outside the scope of AutoPilot.
    Basically, if you want to rig something like this up, just build your project and edit the file manually. AutoPilot will automatically append builds.

It sounds like you haven't installed the tesflight SDK (you can do this on the preferences window), or you're trying to test checkpoints using a local build.

Since only builds created by AutoPilot (such as Build Upload) will implement checkpoints the other SDK features.
    It's good to make a 'dev' distrobution list to use for testing builds, just building and uploading them to your team or yourself.

13. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

I can understand the appeal of keeping your project folder clean, though letting people do this is a bit of work and it's a pretty low priority.
    The main issue is that I don't want to create any more options in the preferences panel than are absolutely necessary and autodetecting the install path of autopilot seems like a tricky problem.

It's also good practice to leave unity asset store items where they install as it makes upgrading/reimporting them much simpler.

The way I keep my projects clean with this is to treat each project as 'package' and it lives in it's own folder beside the asset store bundles I use (including my own libraries tools).

14. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

For those curious,
    here's a sneak peak at one of the changes going into version 2.1 :)

$AutoPilot 2.1 Preview.png

15. 3Duaun

3Duaun

!!! bundle version field = EXCELLENT! :)
    cant wait to get the update as soon as it hits the asset store!
    thank you @CrateSmith

16. iossif

iossif

hmm... i edited the file in the build folder and made another build afterwards but the kfps got changed back to 30. :(

17. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

I've been having the same issue - my builds are not appending with AutoPilot =( This is unfortunate, as I tend to create different build settings (other than Debug and Release), and those get wiped as well.

Is there any failsafe way to make sure that it appends every time? (Building with Unity first, or AutoPilot first, or anything else)

18. GamesByJerry

GamesByJerry

Just got AutoPilot and it looks and runs great.

Unfortunately I can't say the same for TestFlight :( I'm experiencing a crash on the default.png load screen. I read oliverdb had a crash issue and thought I would mention it as well since TestFlight closed the discussion. My support discussion for those interested is:

http://support.testflightapp.com/discussions/sdk/74-sdk-and-unity-game-crash

Just thought I would mention it incase other users have stumbled across the same issue. This obviously has nothing to do with the quality of AutoPilot which seems to do it's job perfectly :)

19. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

Big problem with autopilot.
    It always give me an error:
    AutoPilot: Stage BuildProject failed:An error occured trying to build the .app file, please ensure you can manually build an iPhone project at the build location: builds/iPhone
    Additional Output:xcodebuild: Error: the project /Users/Mike/Desktop/UnityProject/Rockstars/builds/iPhone/Unity-iPhone.xcodeproj does not exist in this directory.

UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    TestFlightBuildWindow:CheckProcessErrors()
    TestFlightBuildWindow:OnInspectorUpdate()
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnInspectorUpdate()

What ever directory I try, I always get this error (and the file exist on the hard drive ).

I have unity iphone basic.

20. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

That's really odd behaviour, AutoPilot is supposed to build and append if the project file already exists.
    Does it ever append your builds or just always overwrite them?

21. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

Hmm,
    that's an odd place for it to get an error.

can you try opening a terminal window and paste the following command:
    xcodebuild -project /Users/Mike/Desktop/UnityProject/Rockstars/builds/iPhone/Unity-iPhone.xcodeproj

let me know if it succeeds or fails. Also, are you using Lion?

22. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

It says the discussion is private or has been deleted :(
    In any case, seeing as you're in brisbane and have a working test case for this issue I'd love to have a look at it.

23. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

Oh and... version 2.1 has been submitted to the asset store.

Changes are:
    - being able to disable the TestFlight SDK for builds headed to testflight without uninstalling (this is for people having problems with arm6)
    - a much improved build options/message window
    - some minor bugfixes

24. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

with xcodebuild -project /Users/Mike/Desktop/UnityProject/Rockstars/builds/iPhone/Unity-iPhone.xcodeproj
    it failed too. But if I do cd /Users/Mike/Desktop/UnityProject/Rockstars/builds/iPhone/ and xcodebuild -project Unity-iPhone.xcodeproj it work.

I'm not using lion

25. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

Okay, I've sent out a testing build to some users. With any luck the test build should fix the issues I haven't been able to reproduce on my machine and I can get that in as a spotfix for 2.1.

26. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

waiting to hear from the testers if the spotfix covered it

27. iossif

iossif

it always creates a new build for me. i edited the files in the build folder but once i created a new one the edited stuff was gone.

28. 3Duaun

3Duaun

@Hercule, I had a similar error with a very early build of AutoPilot, though I tracked it down to an odd OSX permissions issue, that couldn't be resolved by changing the file/folder perms recursively. The fix I arrived at was deleting the builds folder, then reBuilding, all has worked just fine(for me) since then. Hope that possibly helps.

29. Wild-Factor

Wild-Factor

I already try to change the directory/delete directory/rebuild several times. I will try to change the permission folder, maybe that will works for me.
    Until there is a fix, I do the process to submit my app to testflight manually.

Thanks zhx

30. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

Check your private messages. I've sent you a beta of a version that should fix this bug.

31. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

Thanks to everyone who helped out with the testing builds. Version 2.1b has been submitted to the asset store for review.
    It should fix the 'append' and 'can't find xcodeproject (unity basic)' bugs.

32. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Awesome! Sorry I couldn't help out with the testing this time around (had a few things to take care of this week).

33. soldmeadow

soldmeadow

I love this tool but this part isn't working for me. I have a provisioning profile where the App Identifier exactly matches the bundle identifier that I have set in Unity however when AutoPilot uploads to Testflight it always uses my developer profile.

The only way I can get it to work is to go into the XCode project generated by Unity and manually set the Code Signing Identity and then run Autopilot. Even with that step I will still use Autopilot but it would be nice if it could be totally streamlined.

I'm running Unity 3.4.1, XCode = 4.1 (4B110f) and I'm on Snow Leopard. Any advice on what I could be doing wrong?

Would it be possible to add an option to specify which code signing identity to use for the Testflight build?

Thanks.

34. oliverdb

oliverdb

Does your developer profile have the same APP ID as the adhoc one. Also try to make it a specific one instead of a wildcard.

35. soldmeadow

soldmeadow

The app id on my developer profile is * whereas the app id on the provisioning profile I want Autopilot to use is exactly the same as the bundle identifier. Something like com.company.productname.

Actually, I just realised one thing I neglected to mention is that I'm using Qualcomm's Qcar augmented reality plugin so I wonder if that is doing something to break the process.

36. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

Hi there,
    I'm aware of this problem, but it's a tricky one for me to fix. At present AutoPilot just lets xcode pick the developer profile based on your bundle identifier.

A simple solution for the time being is for you to change your developer profile from '*' to com.mydomain.Dev.* so that your apps don't match the profile.

AutoPilot doesn't know the names of your developer profiles and adding a blank text field for this really goes against the design I've been going with for AutoPilot.

But if anyone knows how to get a list of the user's developer profile names, I can look into adding support for this.

Also QCAR works fine with AutoPilot, some friends of mine use that plugin a lot :)

37. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

Hey everyone!

Version 2.1b has been released!

It contains:
    - Tons and tons of bugfixes (it should even fix most append and 'can't find xcodeproj' issues)
    - The new build options window!
    $AutoPilot 2.1 Preview.png

38. 3Duaun

3Duaun

Thank you for all the hard work @CrateSmith!

39. iossif

iossif

thanks alot!

one question thou: i removed testflight from my project and added it again and i still have the old build option window. how can i make sure that i have the newest version installed?

40. soldmeadow

soldmeadow

That isn't a workable solution for me. Also, I believe if you let XCode create a team profile for you it will use * for the app id. I'm happy manually setting things in XCode but it would be nice to see some mention of this issue in the Readme.

41. iossif

iossif

did noone else have troubles with updating to the latest version?

42. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

Good point, I'll have a look into it this weekend. If I can't find a decent workaround I'll add it in as a note in the readme.

To quickly get you on your feet again... If you haven't done so already I'd suggest deleting the Assets/AutoPilot folder and reinstalling.

However, What problems were you getting exactly? If possible I'd like to stop patching update issues in the future, so any details you could give would be great :)

43. iossif

iossif

i already tried deleting and reinstalling. i still get the "old" build window :(

maybe it has something to do with the 1000 error messages i get in the asset store lately thou... i keep trying

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  44. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

It sounds like you haven't got the latest version from the asset store. Try forcing it to redownload the package.
    As a quick test, autopilot.dll should be 53kb (53,248 bytes) in the latest version (though I don't know what it was previously).

45. iossif

iossif

ok, i will test that as soon as i can access the asset store again.

46. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

Hey folks, sorry about the lack of updates.

I know some of you still have outstanding issues I need to fix.
    I've penned in some time this weekend to sit down and try and get these issues sorted:
    - Allow using a specific developer profile
    - Update the readme with info about the app bundle id issues regarding the default Xcode team profile

47. 3Duaun

3Duaun

thanks for the update Cratesmith. looking forward to the updates. :)

48. Cratesmith

Cratesmith

Hey folks, I'm sending out the beta of version 2.2 out to testers.

There's one main new feature:

All goes well, it should be submitted to the asset store for review late tomorrow.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  49. ibyte

ibyte

Hi,

I am getting this error when i do a build and upload. I am able to go to my Xcode project and build and package successfully.
    I will say that my built path is this ../matchPointXcodeiDevice as i do not like having the Xcode project and files under my Unity source directory. Should that matter? also my builds go to /Users/username/dev/xcode_build_output

AutoPilot: Stage PackageIPA failed:An error occured while packaging the .ipa file, please build your iPhone project manually and ensure you are able to "Build Archive" within XCode without errors.
    Additional Output:error: Specified application doesn't exist or isn't a bundle directory : 'MISSING'

UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    TestFlightBuildWindow:CheckProcessErrors()
    TestFlightBuildWindow:OnInspectorUpdate()
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnInspectorUpdate()

Last edited: Oct 23, 2011
  50. ibyte

ibyte

HI Cratesmith, When trying to implement the SDK I am also getting this error.

ld: ldr 12-bit displacement out of range (5516 max +/-4096) in _AudioComponentFindNext$stub in _AudioComponentFindNext$stub from /Users/glennjones/dev/xcode_build_output/matchPointChallenge.app/matchPointChallenge

I got this error some time last year before as ll but I can't recall how it got solved.

iByte