Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

100 Orcs [WIP]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Kellyrayj, Jan 2, 2014.

1. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

2. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Whoops! Fixed it!

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Looks great, but cannot play with current controls. Why not allow use arrows for movement, space to hit with sword, M, N, B for special attacks?

4. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Personally I prefer the current controls.

5. NomadKing

NomadKing

I still get the issue and it's definitely not my system - I'm running it on my fairly new i5 with a GTX 760.

Are you testing it in the webplayer or editor version?. I tested it on chrome, firefox and safari and was able to get the issue each time.

One thing I did notice is that it doesn't seem to be linked to the attack, but when the attack hits the player. I basically jump avoided all the enemies until they stopped spawning (you have an on-screen cap I assume) then kept jumping til I had them all stacked and attacking as one. I could jump from side-to-side over them, making them all attack, and the FPS stayed at 55+, but when I step in to take the hit (and die) it drops to around 3, stays low for 2-3 seconds, then recovers to around 30 while they are celebrating. It never recovers fully to the pre-death FPS.

I can maybe make a video of it if it helps.

6. Snoozer

Snoozer

Nice artwork!
    Are you planning to run this on mobile devices later ?

7. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

I defiantly agree that the problem is in the attack.

I've tested it in all those browsers as well and I've maintained a decent frame-rate. Perhaps it's time to rebuild the way the Orcs attack from scratch. I've been piecemealing from the original pre-fabs in hopes for a fix. Thanks for all your help everyone! I will get this right!

@Snoozer Thanks man! I do plan on running this on mobile. My thoughts were build everything with mobile in mind which is why I want to make sure I have a steady build before I do anything crazy!

@manunt I don't see why I couldn't add those. I'm surprised that the arrow keys don't work already. I beileve I am using the standard Get Axis stuff. I will have to investigate this as well.

More artwork soon! I'm excited to show the next stuff!!

8. NomadKing

NomadKing

Yay, Artwork... yay! :)

9. Snoozer

Snoozer

10. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

I can't seem to replicate these problems here. I made myself invincible to get as many orcs on the screen as I could. During it I accidentally hit shift and killed all the orcs with a bomb hence the 15 score. This is what I got.

Screen Shot 2014-07-27 at 9.40.54 PM.png

So I am going to try an experiment by taking the hit trigger away. If you get a chance, play the demo and see if there is any improvement. If there is, then it's gotta be that I'm turning the triggers off and on. If it's not... then I'm stumped again.

Also! Real quick side note. Is there anyway to get sprites to not overlap if they are on the same sorting layer? I don't like how the eyes overlap.

http://bit.ly/100orcs

Last edited: Jul 29, 2014
    balaam likes this.
  11. NomadKing

NomadKing

I still get the issue, but its very inconsistent in this build. Just standing and letting them beat on me gets me anywhere from 3 to 50 FPS and almost seems to shift based on where I'm standing (although its more likely that when I move I de-sync the attacks a bit which eases whatever is causing the issue.) Very confusing issue... =/

I'll try and check it on another couple of machines today and see what results I get. If you need a second set of eyes to look over any code, feel free to PM me.

12. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

It is a confusing issue. But! I think I'm inching closer to resolving this!

13. TheValar

TheValar

This is what I would do (disclaimer I'm only 90% sure this would work since I haven't done it)
    NOTE: I'm assuming that the orc is what sprite and the eyes is another sprite.

For sprites that have identical sorting layer and order in layer you can control draw order with their transform's z position.
    so...
    give each orc it's own "order in layer" value. Make this the same for the eye and body sprite but give the eyes a z offset.

If you are putting the orc gameobject's into an array you can use their index as their "order in layer" value to ensure that their are no duplicates. Obviously you will have to set this value via your spawning script.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  14. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

That makes sense. Thanks for the insight!

15. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

I really think I figured this out!

What I think my problem has been is no the triggers for the orcs at all. But instead the triggers in the character. When the Orcs attack, I've used the animator to turn their hit boxes off and on. This is where I have been looking for the problem. But I believe the actual problem is that when the Hero is hit, his trigger collider is never turned off so 15 plus orcs are hitting him at once triggering events on their end, but does nothing visual to indicate that this is happening because the Hero has already been hit. So, to fix the issue I have set up the actions to turn off the trigger as soon as the hero is hit first and then turn it back on after the damage is dealt and he is read to be hit again. Take another stab at the demo and tell me if you see any improvement!

16. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Getting reports that it hasn't solved the problem. Hang tight!

17. NomadKing

NomadKing

That latest build actually fixed the issue for me, getting a solid 55+ FPS.

18. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

I've done a few more things in the same vein. I've reduced the amount of frames the Orcs hitbox checks for an attack. I've also capped the number of orcs that can be spawned at a time to 12. I am trying to strike a balance between challenge and fun. I reduced it to six in a build I put out at about midnight last night but now I feel it's way too easy. Hopefully the FPS stays a solid frame rate with this amount of enemies at a time. I'd even go for a constant 30 or so!

Here's hoping!

19. NomadKing

NomadKing

Seems to be gone for me in this version too :)

20. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Excellent!

21. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Hoping this has fixed a few more of my issues. I am not really competent at reading this stuff so if anyone can shed some light on what I'm looking at I'd greatly appreciate it.

Here's the scenario of what it happening at this moment. I am standing still with exactly 60 orcs spawned all attacking me at once and my frames stays pretty constant at 58ish with some momentary blips down to 30. I have no trouble moving back and forth or attacking them.

Attached Files:

22. AlanGameDev

AlanGameDev

Hello there.

Since you were so kind to drop me a line I'm dropping one for you too :).

I really like the arts style and for some reason the game reminds me of zelda... perhaps because of the weapons...

Also, in that last image (profiler) I'm pretty sure that 'LogStringToConsole' thing is something like Debug.Log or something ... I don't have pro but I think if you do a deep profile you'll be able to see which scripts are triggering that (or something), it seems a timed thing because of the intervals between the spikes. Sorry if i'm talking bullshit here, I've never used the profiler :).

23. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

You are correct! I went through and commented out of the debugs. And I saw another really big improvement.

24. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

The new weapons are cool! But I cannot kill the armored orcs with arrows. I can only deal one point of damage but not the second one.

25. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

That's interesting! Thank you for noting that. Adding it to the list!

26. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Artwork! WIP of course!

SememeS, Chemaxmax and NomadKing like this.
  27. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

I'm got a whole laundry list of art assets to make! I'm thinking of trying to find a good workflow for breaking these PSD up and recreating them in Unity. But before I do that, I'm curious what your thoughts are on this?

Screen Shot 2014-08-11 at 4.36.28 PM.png

Chemaxmax, NomadKing and SememeS like this.
  28. NomadKing

NomadKing

Looks great :)

Kellyrayj likes this.
  29. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

I think that it needs some mountains, a forest or little houses at the bottom. But it's cool.

30. Micha-Stettler

Micha-Stettler

Looks nice!

31. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

I think you are right. A village would make sense since that's where we start. I'm actually avoiding mountains because I haven't come up with a good result as of yet. Any attempt has been a ugly result so I got rid of them all together!

32. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

New things to check out! I've address some bugs and modified some combat. I've also added some blood spatter effects and some better indicators for battle.

Also! New status bar that counts down to 0 so it makes more sense of what the goal is. Check it:

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  33. NomadKing

NomadKing

Yay, new build!

I like the new UI, the new combat indicators and the new borders to the level. Starting to feel much more polished now ;) You'll also be pleased to hear... no FPS issues at all! Whatever bug squashing you did appears to have worked.

Counting down rather than up also is a nice change :)

Bugs:
    1. Running right and holding the jump key down cause an animation glitch. Oddly, running left and doing the same doesn't!
    2. Had to press 'R' at least twice each time to actually restart. Also had the restart message pop up when I had 5 orcs left to kill (this one may be intentional, but mentioning it just in case)

34. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

@NomadKing Whoops! No there shouldn't only be that message when the game ends!

NomadKing likes this.
  35. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

This happen when I hold down the jump key :eek: (without pressing right key)

36. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Thanks for the gif!

I think I have an idea to fix this! I'll add it to my list.

37. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

I found a strategy is just to run left to right, back and forth until most of the orcs become clumped into a ball. Then you just whack them and it only takes like 4-5 hits to kill 20 of them. Okay i beat it but nothing happened.

What you should do is make some of the orcs not always chase after the player (because they will never catch him -- or hit him).

Attached Files:

• vic.png
      vic.png
      File size:
      621.2 KB
      Views:
    • clump.png
      clump.png
      File size:
      578.9 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  38. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Thanks for the though! I think I know how I will accomplish this :D stay tuned for more!

39. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

1 More level to Design

6 more characters/variations

3 More GUI screens to create.

Getting closer! Here's WIP on a big orc:

Screen Shot 2014-08-25 at 12.18.45 PM.png

Chemaxmax and NomadKing like this.
  40. NomadKing

NomadKing

He looks awesome. Nice to see your varying the colour palette for the enemies :)

Kellyrayj likes this.
  41. TheValar

TheValar

congrats on getting close to the finish line! What are your plans for release? Gonna try for Steam? Releasing to mobile platforms?

42. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Probably not Steam. This isn't the kind of game I think would do well on there. I'll release a PC/Mac for sure but when I originally conceived the idea, I was shooting for mobile platforms.

43. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

A new enemy approaches.

Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 7.55.09 AM.png

Chemaxmax and NomadKing like this.
  44. MJNuchia

MJNuchia

Nice project! I think it will do well!

Kellyrayj likes this.
  45. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Thank you! Here's to hoping!

46. Chemaxmax

Chemaxmax

The new characters are cool! I like the goblin so much :)

Kellyrayj likes this.
  47. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Goblin looks like my neighbours mom

Kellyrayj and Chemaxmax like this.
  48. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Update!

It's been almost a month without a post so here goes! Life/work is crazy full. Art Production/Development is slow. Not giving up though. I can foresee some free time in my future and I plan to utilize it. Wish me luck!

NomadKing likes this.
  49. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Friends, I'm getting back on the bike again and riding to the finish line. Enjoy my goblin running gif in the mean time! His animations are near complete. 3 more orcs to animate and program their logic!

inafield and NomadKing like this.
  50. NomadKing

NomadKing

Pedal faster! ;)

Kellyrayj likes this.