Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug [redacted]

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ambidot, Nov 25, 2015.

1. ambidot

ambidot

[redacted]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  2. any_user

any_user

We're having the same issue with our game. It worked with 5.1.3p3 but people started to complain when we updated to 5.2.3, that it doesn't work anymore without Pulseaudio. I went trough the changelog and didn't find any notable audio-changes between these versions.

What could it be? Could anyone from the Unity audio team help us here?

3. Tak

Tak

Thanks for the report - we're investigating the issue.

4. Tak

Tak

A fix for the crash will land in 5.3.0p1.
    We're still investigating why we aren't successfully initializing ALSA instead of Pulse in these cases.

5. x4000

x4000

In our case (Starward Rogue), we are seeing this while using unity version:

Version 5.3.2f1 (e87ab445ead0)
    Fri, 22 Jan 2016 15:21:35 GMT
    Branch: 5.3/release

However, when launching from steam it is giving one player the error above, but when launching NOT from steam, it works fine. More details are here: https://www.arcengames.com/mantisbt/view.php?id=18667

But the relevant bits:

When run not from steam, we get this in the player log:

----------
    AudioManager: Using ALSA: default
    ----------

When run from Steam, we get this instead:

----------
    FMOD failed to get number of drivers ... An error occured that wasn't supposed to. Contact support.

(Filename: Line: 533)
    ----------

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  6. bakanekofr

bakanekofr

I'm having a similar issue as @x4000, using Unity 5.3.2p4, is there a fix yet?

7. x4000

x4000

Just to confirm that I've heard absolutely zip.

bakanekofr likes this.
  8. any_user

any_user

We're also still seeing the issue.

@Tak do you have an update on the issue?

9. bakanekofr

bakanekofr

Was it fixed in 5.3.3 released today?

10. any_user

any_user

don't know, when I download 5.3.3 the assistant installs 5.3.2p3

Edit: Unity.app shows 5.3.2p3, but the playback engines show 5.3.3f1 (in ivy.xml). Seems to be some problem with the download... I deleted the old installation first to make sure I don't mix versions.

11. bakanekofr

bakanekofr

Please keep me in touch. Unfortunately this bug doesn't happen on my PC, so I can't check it out myself. Thanks!

12. Tak

Tak

If you get different results when running from Steam vs. not, it means that the ALSA libraries in the Steam runtime don't match the drivers on the system - there's nothing we can do about this on our end.

13. x4000

x4000

Okay, thanks for the information on that. Can you clarify why that would matter, though? Presumably once the game is launched from any context, it then exists within its own process that is isolated from where it was launched from.

Are you saying that the steam overlay itself is likely hooking in with incompatible drivers? I know that the steam overlay has voice chat capabilities, so perhaps disabling those might solve the issue.

My question is simply: are you suggesting that the steam overlay (which is being injected into the process) is the problem, or that the launch context itself is the problem?

14. InversePhase

InversePhase

I am an end-user (that is, I purchased games and I want to play them) and I am experiencing crashes as well. I think all titles that dump the "FMOD failed to get number of drivers" error to Player.log crash and do not run at all. It is extremely frustrating!

Off the top of my head:
    - Galaxy Admirals
    - Hatch and Slay
    - Life is Hard
    - Stop Online - Battle of Words
    - Tales of the Orient - The Rising Sun
    - The Deer
    ...and the big one...
    - Wasteland 2: Director's Cut

Brett (Paterson, FMOD) responded to a very frustrated tweet today saying it is a Unity problem. I don't care who's at fault, I would just like to do whatever I can to get to the bottom of this.

15. InversePhase

InversePhase

Unofficial and confusing resolution time:

Ultimately, the solution is to find all instances of libpulse-simple* and rename or remove the files. Places to check:

/usr/lib
    /usr/lib32
    ~/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/i386/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/
    ~/.steam/steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/

ALL of them must be renamed or removed.

I always find the way I arrived at a solution enlightening and useful for future reference. What made my specific situation confusing is that pulse did not exist *at all* when I first had the problem. While attempting to fix the problem, I installed an arch package called "pulseaudio-fake" which somehow depended on libpulse but not pulseaudio. Then I ended up with libpulse-simple on my system, which I renamed as mentioned above.

I'd like to thank Tak for helping me dig through this problem on IRC. It looks like this was a dumb edge-case that is now handled in future versions of Unity, according to our discussion.

16. kshade

kshade

You can add Kerbal Space Program 1.1 pre to that list, "we" (I'm not a dev, just a user) came to the same conclusion as you.

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

It has been two weeks without any word on this bug which makes games not run at all or run with no sound for a large amount of linux players. Can we have an update?

18. prometx

prometx

Wow, InversePhase, Tak, you really went deep on this one; been trying to figure this one out for Wasteland 2: Directors Cut for a few days now. The above described was, precisely, my problem. Well done sirs, and or madames...

I've "cross-referenced" to inXile's forums where some other endusers are having issues:

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14060&p=171785#p171785

(hope that's alright to mention...)

At any rate, thanks much for your diligence!

Best,

Prometx

19. Deleted User

Deleted User

This is barely a solution, just an ugly hack that will most likely break some other installed applications using pulseaudio properly just to make a Unity game work somehow...
    I guess if you just really want to play it is an option, but it does in no way remove the need for a proper fix.

20. x4000

x4000

This is perhaps better? It's something that one of my players came back with:

Quoting her:
    ------

http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/7515 [^] (post 33)

ln -s /dev/null libpulse-simple.so.0 in the game directory

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=.:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH %command% in launch options.

Every Unity 5 game has sound for me now.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  21. venetasoft

venetasoft

I solved installing pulseaudio:

sudo apt-get install pulseaudio

22. venetasoft

venetasoft

I solved installing pulseaudio too:

sudo apt-get install pulseaudio

23. x4000

x4000

That's a bit beside the point, though, honestly -- the issue is that this doesn't work when pulseaudio is missing. For instance in the case of my player who was reporting issues, she is a composer and uses different sound libraries. Adding in pulseaudio for unity games would break her ability to compose.

24. alex_rozhdestvensky

alex_rozhdestvensky

Still have same problem only when target is Android. We try build our application on remote server (Debian 3.16.7-ckt20-1+deb8u4, unity: unity-editor-5.3.5f1+20160525_amd64.deb).

Importing game controller configs
    Loading GUID <-> Path mappings...0.000538 seconds
    Loading Asset Database...0.066990 seconds
    FMOD failed to get number of drivers ... An error occured that wasn't supposed to. Contact support.
    (Filename: /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Audio/AudioManager.cpp Line: 533)

Audio: FMOD Profiler initialized on port 54900
    AudioManager: Using Unknown: NoSound Driver
    AssetDatabase consistency checks...3.359821 seconds
    Build target platform 'Android' could not be used.
    (Filename: /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Src/Application.cpp Line: 673)

Aborting batchmode due to failure:
    Fatal error! Build target platform 'Android' could not be used.

But our server has current audio device:
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)

I try all instructions at this thread and by link: https://medium.com/@h0lycattle/runn...ss-ubuntu-environment-1adf95c05994#.iwo5in1ey

but error still same.

Can anybody help please?